Thursday 10 November 2011

Paper. Scissors. Wall.

Photo credit: Linsey Rendell

I'm sure for those of you who have visited Melbourne, have seen the beautiful artworks splashed over infamous Melbourne laneway walls. These creative designs made up of the most fetching colours, always provide that extra ray of sunshine to a sometimes dreary city landscape.

So we've all seen the art, but have you seen the artists? Chances are no.

Seam was lucky enough to hang out with one of Melbourne's street artists... here's a taste of what you will find within The Start-Ups Issue.

Suki is a self confessed printmaker, who turned to the streets with her art for reasons other than just making the city look better.

"I feel like working in the street gives my art a deeper meaning because it interacts with the environment around it," Suki says.

Sneaking around for the sake of art-kind, Suki admits she's always had a flair for all things creative.

"My family is quite eccentric, so I was lucky enough to grow up in an environment that saw the world in a different way and embraced creativity. I’ve always done a bit of this and that, but it wasn’t until I discovered printmaking that I really found my calling."

But despite what some may think, street art is so much more than just tagging with a spray can. Street artists put as much thought and effort into their pieces as any other artist would. Suki carefully constructs an idea, "something that will look beautiful" she insists, before taking photos, imprinting, carving, inking and finally pasting them up to be admired by onlookers.

It's hard to believe such cool work is frowned upon in the renowned city of art... I wonder if Suki has ever been caught? I guess you will just have to read the full story in Seam Magazine! 

No comments:

Post a Comment