Monday 5 December 2011

Meet Me Monday: de Leon Cosmetics

Photo Credit: de Leon Cosmetics

With a lot of hard work and a few waves of the magic fairy wand, let's welcome to the stage, de Leon Cosmetics! This new cosmetic range is certainly creating a stir, with a range of different products which will fit the bill on any occasion.  We caught up with talented creator, Gladys de Leon, to pick her brain about what's behind the new brand.

How did de Leon Cosmetics transform from an experimental passion into the budding cosmetic business it is today?
The short answer to that would be pressure (read: nagging!) from family and friends! I was making eye shadows just for my own personal use and each time someone remarked on the colour/quality of it, there would be the inevitable where did you get it, can you make me some, why aren't you in business conversation... After careful research, formulation and legislation studies, I decided to just go for it!

What sets de Leon products above the rest?
A couple of things set us above the competition. We are a family-based, handmade company. We're not a faceless multi-national conglomerate. Our profits go back into our own economy and when we are large enough to employ staff, it will be helping to support more Australian families. I also believe in simplicity of ingredients. Nothing is added to our formulas if it doesn't absolutely have to be there. We are surrounded by chemicals in our everyday life and I want to provide an alternative to chemical-laden cosmetics!

Who is the ultimate de Leon girl?
The ultimate de Leon girl is a chameleon. She wears different colours on her weekend than she does to work and she loves the flexibility of having choices. I think our catch phrase really empowers this aspect in all of us…

"Mild to wild, who will you be today?"

Well today will I wear neutrals with a strong lip, or shall I break out the sapphire coloured eye shadow with silver as a highlight? Because I can!

What's next for de Leon?
Next two items on the formulation checklist will be to extend our Lipstick Balm and Lip Gloss range to include more neutrals and softer colours. And blushes! I can't wait to introduce a blush range to our collection! We also are working on foundations, so keep an eye on upcoming announcements on our facebook page.

What's your favourite de Leon product?
Hands down, my eye primer. It is the product I am most proud of. I have oily, hooded eyelids and eye shadow would crease and disappear on me within minutes of application. My eye primer ensures perfect application til I decide to take it off! It's also so versatile. I've used it as an eye brow wax, and a lip primer. It's the one product I think will make a massive difference in anyone's makeup routine!

What does a cosmetic creator do with her downtime?
I truly believe that resting well is as important as working hard. Time off for me is spent catching up with family, watching TV and reading. They recharge my batteries and I never feel guilty for taking the time that I need.

Any makeup tips for the coming season?
Bright colours are where we are headed until autumn. Hot pink and bright orange are especially front and center where the hottest lip colours are concerned. I always tell people "don't be afraid of colour" and it's a statement I stand by!

No comments:

Post a Comment